Make a hot roasted pork sandwich in the oven or air fryer in just 10 minutes if you use a leftover pork tenderloin. Need to bake one fresh before you start? It only adds 30 minutes to your dinner prep.
This roasted pork sandwich is so delicious that you'll find yourself baking a pork tenderloin just so you can make this recipe!
I love to use a leftover pork tenderloin to make this sandwich in less than 10 minutes but even if I don't have a leftover on hand, roasting the pork only adds 30 minutes to my dinner prep.
This hearty sandwich is perfect for packing for a picnic or tailgate since you can enjoy it hot or cold.
Make a big batch on a baking sheet in the oven or just assemble one sandwich for lunch in your air fryer!
Why This is the Best Recipe
We always have a 2-pack of Smithfield pork tenderloins in our fridge. I love to bake them both at the same time and use one for dinner the first night and one for a new dinner the next night.
I think this is the best roasted pork sandwich recipe because:
- Perfect for Leftover Pork: Save one baked pork tenderloin and you can have this sandwich ready to eat in under 10 minutes!
- Warm and Cozy: The buns get perfectly toasty, the cheese melts all ooey gooey and the seasoned pork with mustard and caramelized onions taste simply amazing.
- Easy to Tweak: Don't miss my simple variations ideas, too!
This simple sandwich recipe only needs a few ingredients:
- Roasted Pork Tenderloin: My preferred way to make this recipe is with a leftover pork tenderloin but don't worry, I have instructions included for how to bake one fresh if you need to.
- Ciabatta Rolls: I love to buy the big pack of ciabatta buns at Costco but I've spotted them at Trader Joe's and our grocery store, too. If you can't find them, you could use any crusty sandwich roll you love.
- Sliced Provolone Cheese: I think this melts the best but you could use mozzarella or Swiss cheese if you prefer.
- Mustard: Dijon mustard is an excellent choice but I also love a good spicy brown mustard with pork.
- Caramelized Onions: It only takes 20 minutes to make fresh caramelized onions for a burger or sandwich and you can prep it up to 5 days in advance. If you don't have time, you could substitute a store bought jar of caramelized onion jam.
How to Cook the Roasted Pork
If you don't have a leftover pork tenderloin to use, you can easily roast one before you make the sandwiches.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the pork tenderloin and season it.
Bake it for 30 minutes or until the meat registers 145°F when tested at the thickest part of the meat.
For much more detailed instructions, step by step photos, and a list of the best seasonings for pork, don't miss my tips for how to cook a Smithfield pork tenderloin here:
How to Make Caramelized Onions
You could make fresh caramelized onions for your sandwich while the pork tenderloin is roasting.
Slice the onions into thin strips. Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat.
Cook the onions for 20 minutes, stirring continuously, until they are a deep golden brown color.
For more detailed instructions and troubleshooting tips, be sure to reference my caramelized onions recipe here:
Assemble the Sandwiches
Preheat your oven or air fryer to 400°F.
Slice the ciabatta buns and toast them cut side up in the oven or air fryer for 3 - 4 minutes so they warm through.
Layer the slices of pork tenderloin on the bottom half of the bun. Spread the mustard on the top half.
Spoon caramelized onions or onion jam over the pork and place the sliced cheese over the mustard.
Bake them cut side up for 3 - 4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the pork is warmed through. Assemble the sandwiches and serve.
I love the flavors of the seasoned pork with caramelized onions and mustard but there are a few delicious ways you could tweak this recipe:
Barbecue Pork Sandwiches: Drizzle bbq sauce over the pork and use Monterey jack cheese. Skip the mustard.
Southern Pork Sandwiches: Season the pork with seasoned salt before you roast it. Spread my spicy sauce for sandwiches instead of the mustard and add a spoonfull of chow chow relish instead of, or in addition to, the caramelized onions.
For a quick and easy family dinner, I served this roasted pork sandwich with a simple garden salad on the side.
For a picnic or potluck, you could add a batch of this sweet and crispy carrot apple salad.
More Sandwich Recipes
A warm and cozy sandwich makes a quick and easy family dinner even on a busy night. Be sure to keep these delicious sandwich recipes ready to go in a pinch:
Roasted Pork Sandwich
For the Pork
- 1 baked pork tenderloin see notes
For the Caramelized Onions
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoon butter
For Assembling the Sandwiches
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Prep the Pork Tenderloin
- This is a great recipe for a leftover pork tenderloin, simply slice the pork tenderloin into ¼-inch thick slices.
- If you need to bake a pork tenderloin before you start, see the instructions in the notes section below.
Caramelize the Onions
- Slice the onions into thin half moons strips while the butter melts in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the onions, stirring continuously, for 20 minutes or until they are a deep golden brown color and very tender.
Assemble and Bake the Pork Sandwiches
- Preheat the oven or air fryer to 400°F.
- Slice the ciabatta rolls in half and place them cut side up on a large baking sheet. If baking them in an air fryer, you may need to work in smaller batches rather than all at once on a baking sheet. Toast the buns for 3 - 4 minutes in the oven or air fryer.
- Place an even layer of sliced pork on the bottom half of the bun and spread Dijon mustard on the top half. Pile a spoonful of caramelized onions over the pork and place the sliced provolone over the mustard.
- Bake the sandwiches open face style until the cheese has melted and the pork is warmed through, about 2 - 3 minutes. Close the sandwiches and serve immediately.
Roasted Pork Tenderloin InstructionsIf you need to bake a pork tenderloin before you start, it is very easy to do. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the pork loin and season it. Place it in a baking dish or on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until it registers 145°F at the thickest part of the meat. For more detailed instructions and tons of delicious seasonings to use, be sure to read the tips on this roasted pork recipe. A note on Caramelized Onions: For more detailed instructions and step by step photos, please reference my caramelized onions for burgers recipe here.
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!