Make ahead these spicy sausage rolls for your special occasion and just bake them before serving so they are fresh and hot. Savory pork sausage filling wrapped in a flaky puff pastry crust, be sure to dip these in a tangy Dijon mustard sauce.
When I was doing research into traditional British foods after we got our shocking DNA test results the other week, sausage rolls popped up over and over again.
They reminded me of everything my husband Tim has ever loved: spicy meat wrapped in dough and baked.
You simply season two pounds of ground pork, form it into a long log and chill it.
Once firm, you wrap it in thawed puff pastry, slice into sections and glaze with an egg wash.
Bake it up and serve with a mustard dipping sauce. Sounds easy because it is!
Why This is the Best Recipe
If you're looking for a new and delicious party appetizer you can make ahead, you will quickly think that this is the best spicy sausage roll recipe because:
- Make Ahead Friendly: Assemble the sausage rolls the day before and then just bake and serve.
- Perfectly Seasoned Pork: The fresh herbs and seasonings add so much flavor to plain ground pork. This is a lighter choice than actual sausage and tastes amazing.
- Flaky Puff Pastry: Why make dough from scratch when you can use packaged frozen puff pastry? It bakes up perfectly.
- Tangy Mustard Sauce: Don't forget to serve this with a tangy Dijon mustard, it is the perfect dipping sauce for the spicy pork.
This easy appetizer only requires a few simple ingredients for you to make it:
- Ground Pork: Nope, not sausage. Simple ground pork is less fatty and bakes easier.
- Frozen Puff Pastry: You'll need to thaw it before using.
- Fresh Sage
- Fresh Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
Make the Sausage Filling
Add the ground pork to a large mixing bowl.
Add the chopped fresh herbs and all the dried seasonings.
Fluff it all together with a fork or gently mix with your hands.
Divide the pork into 4 equal portions and roll each one into a 9-inch log.
Place the sausage logs on a tray and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Prepare the Dough
Roll one sheet of puff pastry so that it is 9 inches tall by 11 inches long.
Slice it lengthwise into two pieces that measure 4.5 inches tall by 11 inches long like this:
Repeat with the other piece of dough.
Fill the Pastry
Place one chilled sausage log on each piece of prepared pastry.
Roll the dough over the sausage and pinch the seam to close.
Place the roll seam side down and slice into 6 equal pieces.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Place the sausage rolls seam side down on a baking sheet lined witih parchment or a baking mat.
Brush the tops with the egg wash and cut a small slit in the top of each roll for venting.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the pork has cooked to 145°F.
Make Ahead Tips
If you want to prepare the sausage rolls in advance, assemble them as directed and then place them on a baking sheet.
Cover the baking sheet tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Then just bake as directed and serve.
Do not try to freeze the raw sausage rolls. If you plan to freeze them, bake as directed and let them cool completely.
Then freeze them for up to 6 months.
Thaw in the fridge overnight and warm in the oven before serving.
I think you could easily play with the seasonings the recipe calls for and do many variations on this appetizer:
Italian Sausage Rolls: Use Italian herb seasonings and crushed red pepper flakes. Serve with marinara sauce.
Greek Sausage Rolls: Use a Greek herb blend and a bit of lemon zest. Serve with tzatziki sauce.
Mexican Sausage Rolls: Use your favorite taco seasoning and serve with homemade salsa.
The best condiment to serve with the freshly baked spicy sausage rolls is a tangy Dijon mustard or even my homemade raspberry mustard dip.
If you prefer, you could turn it into a honey mustard by mixing one part honey to one part Dijon. If you use Mike's Hot Honey, it will add even more spice to the appetizer.
There are so many great occasions to bake a batch of sausage rolls.
Spiced Sausage Rolls
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry thawed
- 2 pounds lean ground pork
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water for egg wash
Season the Sausage Filling
- In a large mixing bowl, add the pork with all the seasonings. Using your hands or a pair of forks, gently mix together to combine. Divide the pork into 4 equal portions and roll each section into a 9 inch log. Place on a tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Assemble the Sausage Rolls
- Roll one sheet of the puff pastry out so that it is 9 inches tall by 11 inches long. Slice lengthwise to make 2 pieces that measure 4.5 inches tall by 11 inches long.
- Place one sausage log on each of the pastry sections. Roll up and pinch the seam to close. Place with seam side down and cut each into 6 equal pieces. Trim the loose ends to make them neat.
- Repeat with second sheet of pastry dough so you have 24 pork rolls in all.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the rolls on a parchment covered baking sheet. Cut a small slit on the top of each roll to vent the pastry. Brush the tops with the egg wash.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden and the sausage registers 145°F with an instant probe thermometer. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead InstructionsAssemble the pork rolls as directed above. Place them on a baking pan lined with parchment and cover tightly with plastic wrap. You can keep them refrigerated for up to 24 hours and then just bake as directed before serving. Do not try to freeze the unbaked sausage rolls. If you plan to freeze them, bake them completely as directed and then cool completely before freezing. Thaw the sausage rolls in the fridge overnight. Reheat them in the oven till warmed through and serve.
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!