This quick-fix gnocchi soup with lemon and dill is made with all pantry ingredients you can keep on hand for a fast dinner any night. Serve with warm bread and butter for a springtime feast.
This easy gnocchi soup with lemon and dill was born out of necessity.
Our kitchen was running on fumes and I need to prepare a quick lunch with whatever I happened to have on hand in my pantry.
A package of gnocchi, a container of chicken broth, and a few fresh items from the fridge and we were in business!
The soup was so light and delicious, it has made an appearance on our table again and again.
Why This is the Best Recipe
- Budget Friendly: With such a short list of ingredients, you can make this easy dinner on a budget.
- Awesome Flavor: I love dill, this is like a lemony soup married my favorite dill dip.
- So Fast: Using boxed chicken stock makes this recipe lightning fast to make.
Look at just how short the ingredients list is! All you need to make the soup is:
- Gnocchi: These are dried Italian potato dumplings that have a firm texture but still cook up light and fluffy. If you can't find them, you could simply substitute a wavy egg noodle.
- Chicken broth
- Minced garlic
- Dried Dill: You could use fresh dill if you have it. Save some to make my easy dill dip for veggies if you have any left over.
- Salt and pepper
Make Ahead Tips
The beauty of this recipe is that it requires so little time and effort to make, you don't really need to worry about making it ahead of time!
However, if you just want to be able to reheat your meal, you could make the soup and store it in the fridge for 4 - 5 days.
The soup would also freeze very well and you could just reheat it in the microwave.
If you're looking to add a little more heft to this light soup, you could always stir in a shredded rotisserie chicken. Just be sure to add it for just the last minute or so to warm through or the chicken will get overcooked and tough.
You could also brown our favorite Romano chicken meatballs and simmer them in the soup until they are cooked through.
If you add a batch of easy cheesy crab melts to your dinner menu, you'll have the perfect "soup and sandwich combo." You could also add one of the delicious homemade bread recipes:
Gnocchi Soup with Lemon and Dill
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 oz) package of dried gnocchi
- 5 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken broth, diced carrots, and the garlic in a large saucepot and bring the mix to a boil. Gently simmer for 10-15 min until the carrots are tender.
- Add the potato gnocchi to the saucepot and simmer until the gnocchi float to the top, just 3-4 minutes. Squeeze half a lemon into the pot, add the dill, salt, and pepper, and stir.
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!