Today’s conversation about getting a healthy dinner to the table on a busy school night is sponsored by Horizon Organics. All thoughts and opinions are our own.
The school year is in full swing now and our crazy evenings are ramping up. I am on the hunt for more recipes that will get us through this season without me losing my mind and without sacrificing our family’s good health.
The thing about most “30 minute meals” is that you spend that entire 30 minutes cooking. What this busy mom needs is something more akin to a “5 minute meal” that only takes a few minutes of hands-on work but then buys me a pocket of time to spend with my kids on their homework or catching up on other evening chores.
We recently tried this Bacon Ranch Cheesy Chicken Roll-up and it was a huge hit with the whole family. It only takes a few minutes to assemble and then in the 20 minutes it bakes, I can help empty backpacks, wash lunch boxes, and oversee homework!
When I planned for our meal, I knew I wanted to include a healthy side dish that would tempt the kids to eat their veggies. It’s still hot here and my girls love cold, raw veggies with dip. I can’t stand the store bought processed versions and prefer to mix up our own using fresh sour cream and my favorite seasonings blend.
Earlier in the day I mixed 1 cup of Horizon Organic sour cream with 2 teaspoons of Chip & Dip seasoning from Penzeys Spices. I filled our raw veggie tray with the cut and washed veggies and the sour cream so it was all ready to go at dinner time with no additional work. I simply set the tray out for the girls to start nibbling while I assembled the rest of our dinner.
The ingredient list couldn’t be easier: 1 refrigerated French bread dough, 10 slices of seasoned chicken breast from the deli, 1 package of Horizon Organic provolone cheese slices, 8 strips of bacon crumbled, and plenty of chopped green onions.
To give it the ranch flavor, I mixed up a batch of dry ranch seasoning using this method. I used about 1 tsp sprinkled on the dough and then saved the rest for another time.
Assembling the roll-up was easy peasy. I baked it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and then sliced up to serve.
As a mom of two young girls, I’m thrilled that these two easy recipes ensure they’re getting a healthy serving of organic dairy in their day. Our pediatrician always encourages that I pay extra attention to their dairy levels to make sure their bodies get what they need.
I think when the colder weather hits, we’re going to try serving this roll-up alongside a batch of our favorite veggie soup! YUM.
Bacon ranch cheesy chicken roll-ups:Print
- 1 canister of refrigerated French bread dough
- 1 tsp of dried ranch seasoning
- 10 slices of seasoned chicken from the deli
- 1 package Horizon Organic provolone cheese slices
- 8 strips of bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the dough on a greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with the seasonings and then layer the chicken, cheese, bacon, and onions over the top while leaving a small border around the perimeter of the dough.
- Roll up the french bread dough like a pinwheel from long edge to long edge. Arrange on the cookie sheet with the seam side down.
- Use a paring knife to slice several 1/4 inch deep cuts along the top of the bread to allow steam to escape. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Slice and serve warm.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.