This light Weight Watchers tortellini soup is only 4 points and made with fresh, real ingredients like cheese tortellini, spinach, carrots, onions, and tomatoes.
If you need a light and healthy soup that comes together super quickly on a busy weeknight, one of the best options is this Weight Watchers friendly cheese tortellini soup.
I love that this easy soup recipe can be made with fresh vegetables from my fridge but works just as well with frozen vegetables if you want to prep things ahead of time.
It only takes a few minutes to cook and is a satisfying dinner served with a warm slice of bread.
Weight Watchers Friendly
I actually really love the Weight Watchers program. And no this is not sponsored in any way.
I love their focus on real food, sensible portions, and flexible accountability for things like my beloved ice cream.
My approach to the routine is to focus on recipes I would normally want to make for our family and just try to lighten them a bit or reduce the portion for myself.
I know that pretty much anything in my pantry actually CAN work on the program, it's just all about how I use it.
Busy Night Friendly
Last night was one of our busy after school activity nights.
I had 30 minutes between drop-off and pick-up to pull something together for us to eat. This recipe took only 15 minutes to make. Rock On!
I left it to do it's simmering while I went back to get the kids and it was ready to go when we got home.
I loved that when Tim came home he was able to know exactly how many points our dinner was worth (Only 4 points per serving!) and then adjust his portion according to his budget for the meal.
We all ate the same thing -- including the kids! (Little Pea required it to be deconstructed with raw spinach and carrots on the side and tortellini SEPARATE but close enough.)
The recipe calls for 8 servings at 4 points each.
All you need to make this easy soup is:
- Cheese Tortellini from the refrigerator case
- Chicken Stock
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Diced Tomatoes
- Fresh Celery
- Fresh Onion
- Fresh Carrots
- Fresh Baby Spinach
- Italian or Mediterranean Herb Blend
- Dried Basil
How to Make It
Start by dicing the fresh vegetables. This step can be done days in advance, you could just store it all in a plastic storage bag in the fridge.
The small dice will help the soup cook faster.
To cook the soup, saute the vegetables and minced garlic in a little olive oil until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the can of diced tomatoes and then the chicken broth and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the cheese tortellini and baby spinach last. They only need 2 minutes to cook.
You'll want to serve the soup immediately after the tortellini are cooked or they will get too soft in the broth.
We like to add just a small sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese over the top.
You could serve this soup with a little piece of bread for dunking. My baked crostini would be a perfect sized portion.
Weight Watchers Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots small diced
- 2 stalks of celery small diced
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon greek seasoning blend or oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 10 oz of Buitoni three cheese tortellini
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- Sprinkle of grated parmesan optional. If you keep it under 1 tablespoon per serving, it does not affect the WW point count
- In a large stock pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high and sauté the raw carrots, celery, and onions until soft.
- Add the garlic and seasonings and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and scrape the pan to release any browned bits from the bottom. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and spinach and cook for 5 minutes until pasta is cooked through and spinach has wilted.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese over the bowl. (Optional.)
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!
How much is 1 serving ?
Thank you! Made this tonight and it was yummy 🙂
How much is a serving