This post is sponsored by Borden Cheese. As always, all thoughts and opinions are our own.
One of my favorite tricks for getting great pictures on Christmas morning is to stall my kids from opening their gifts until the sun is up. This usually involves making a simple but extremely tempting breakfast to help prolong the anticipation. The trick to a great Christmas morning breakfast is a recipe that is quick and easy to pull together, doesn’t bake too long, but has a festive presentation and is worth the wait. This cheese and sausage breakfast casserole checks off all those boxes! You can easily prep the ingredients the day before so that on Christmas morning you simply layer it all together and pop in the oven. 35 minutes of baking time and you’re ready to go! Serve it alongside my cranberry cinnamon rolls for something sweet and your family will think you’ve completely spoiled them for the holiday.
The ingredients to the breakfast casserole are so simple and festive: an english muffin “crust”, shredded Borden cheddar jack cheese, eggs, dijon mustard, milk, crumbled sausage, and red pepper & asparagus for a pretty pop of color.
To save yourself time on Christmas morning, brown up the bulk sausage the day before. You can dice the red pepper and chop the asparagus and store in a separate container. Less dishes, less mess!
Simply preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Layer the english muffins, shredded cheese, veggies & sausage, and pour the egg mixture over the top. Bake for 35 minutes and then top with another cup of shredded cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes to get the cheese all melty and gooey and you’re ready to serve.
If you don’t like bulk sausage, you could substitute diced ham, crumbled bacon, or go vegetarian and leave out the meat altogether. We like things spicy so I used a hot sausage, but you could make it mild and sweet by just changing the sausage variety you choose.
I think the casserole really goes well with a nice mimosa, too. It is a holiday after all!
P.S. If you’re a cheese lover like we are, check out the awesome recipe resource over on the Borden site here! So many great ideas. You can also follow them over on Instagram here and Facebook here.
Cheese and sausage breakfast casserole:Print
Perfect prep ahead recipe for a holiday brunch.
- 4–5 English Muffins, split open in half
- 2 cups Borden cheddar jack shredded cheese
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound bulk sausage, browned and crumbled
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange the english muffins along the bottom of a 9×13 or large baking dish. I tore one english muffin into smaller pieces to fill in the nooks and crannies so most bites had part of the crust.
- Top the muffins with half of the shredded cheese and then layer the vegetables and sausage.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, and seasonings until blended. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the english muffins in the baking dish. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until the eggs are set. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake for another 5 minutes so the cheese melts.