Skip the traditional nachos for your next party. Serve this awesome potato chip appetizer instead! Spicy buffalo blue cheese potato chips with Lit’l Smokies sausages on top. YUM.
Woot! Our family could not be more excited that our city’s team is going to be playing in the final game of this exciting football season! Our football party snacks have been ramping up each week as we get more and more excited about the competition.
A mainstay of football food is buffalo wings but as much as Tim and I love buffalo sauce, we prefer our wings dry seasoned vs. saucy. One of our favorite local restaurants here in Charlotte serves up an amazing appetizer called buffalo blue cheese chips — hot and fresh hand cut potato chips smothered in buffalo and warm blue cheese sauce. We cannot go there without getting it each and every time.
For the last game, I tried my hand at a homemade version and Tim swears that this is the Best Football Snack I have ever served up.
To keep things easy at home and to up the protein factor, I relied on a bunch of store bought ingredients from Walmart: 2 packages of Lit’l Smokies® sausages, a party-sized bag of potato chips, hot sauce, butter, blue cheese, and your choice of either a bottle of ranch dressing or you can quickly mix your own. I used this ranch recipe (minus the Tabasco) and the fresh buttermilk made for the perfect drizzly sauce for the chips.
First up was making the buffalo sauce. Did you know it is just two simple ingredients?? Butter and hot sauce melted together. I opted to toss the Lit’l Smokies sausages right into the sauce to coat them.
To make the blue cheese sauce, you simply add a few tablespoons of crumbled blue cheese into your ranch dressing. I garnished it with some freshly chopped green onions.
You can serve this one of two ways:
- Serve the coated Lit’l Smokies sausages on a platter with the blue cheese sauce in a dipping cup for your low carb guests.
- Pile up a huge plate of potato chips nacho-style and drizzle the two sauces over the top. Garnish with the Lit’l Smokies sausages, chopped green onions, and more crumbled blue cheese.
We tested it both ways for our family snack buffet:
My mom preferred the Lit’l Smokies sausages separate from the chips and dipped her chips in just the sauce she liked best. Tim and the kids preferred the nacho style presentation. At the end of the game? Both serving platters were cleared.
Tim has been requesting that this become a staple of our football watching. High praise from someone who isn’t very forthcoming with his compliments!
It was such an easy recipe and then I come off as a rockstar with practically no effort– my favorite kind of food! I found everything I needed during one trip at Walmart which saved me even more time. You can find the Lit’l Smokies® sausages in the refrigerated section and then just grab everything else you need.
- 2 packages of Lit'l Smokies®
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1 cup ranch dressing (bottled or homemade)
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- chopped green onions (garnish)
- bag of potato chips
To make the buffalo sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, about 2-3 minutes. Add the hot sauce, stir to combine. Add the Lit'l Smokies to the sauce and stir to coat. Cook them until heated through, about 5 min.
To make the blue cheese sauce:
- Combine the ranch and blue cheese in a small bowl. Stir together with a fork.
- OPTION 1: Place the potato chips in a large bowl. Use a slotted spoon to place the sausages on a platter. Pour the ranch and blue cheese dip into a small bowl and nestle it on the platter next to the sausages.
- OPTION 2: Place the potato chips on a large platter, spreading them out like you would for nachos. Use a slotted spoon to sprinkle the sausages over the chips. Drizzle the remaining buffalo sauce over the top. Drizzle the ranch and blue cheese sauce over the top. Sprinkle remaining blue cheese crumbles over the top along with chopped green onions.