This easy homemade buffalo sauce has just 3 ingredients and is so much better than the prepared bottle from the store. You can use Frank's Hot Sauce for the base but our family definitely prefers Texas Pete.
Buffalo sauce, or spicy wing sauce, is a useful recipe to keep on hand because you can use it in so many ways and it only takes 3 ingredients and 5 minutes to make from scratch.
Prepared buffalo sauce from the store is filled with preservatives and other things. Often there's an odd tang to the flavor.
But when you make your own buffalo sauce with this recipe, you can choose your favorite hot sauce for the base and adjust the heat level to your family's preference.
Hosting a party? You could make a variety of buffalo sauces for guests to sample with a big platter of chicken wings or nuggets just by changing the kind of hot sauce you use!
Texas Pete vs. Frank's Hot Sauce
The most important ingredient in any homemade buffalo sauce recipe is the hot sauce you use.
A quick search and you'll find dozens of wing sauce recipes that call for Frank's Hot Sauce as the first ingredient.
We tried both Frank's and my husband's favorite hot sauce, Texas Pete, to make this recipe.
Hands down, Texas Pete is the winner.
Why you should consider the switch:
- Texas Pete is actually hotter than Frank's. It ranks 747 on the Scoville Scale for pepper heat where the higher the number, the hotter the pepper. Frank's only scores 450.
- Just because it is hotter, doesn't mean it is too spicy. Texas Pete has a wonderful kick to it but you can easily shake a few drops on your food and eat it directly without any pain.
- Texas Pete's aging process gives it a better depth of flavor than the basic Frank's.
- Texas Pete is the hot sauce of choice from these southern barbecue experts.
- Texas Pete isn't made in Texas, it's actually a North Carolina product. Tim and I love the local connection.
My husband has become a Texas Pete superfan over the last couple of years. He asks for it by name at restaurants and adds a shake to just about every dish I set at the table.
As a funny surprise, the kids and I are wrapping up a gift bag filled with these Texas Pete packets for him to keep handy as one of his Father's Day gifts this year.
You can't go wrong with a recipe that has only three ingredients!
All you need to make homemade buffalo sauce is:
- Bottled Hot Sauce: Take your pick from Frank's RedHot or our favorite Texas Pete
- Garlic Salt
How to Make It
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat.
Add the hot sauce and garlic salt. Stir them together and bring them to a simmer.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes to let the flavors mingle.
How easy is that??
Store this easy buffalo sauce in a mason jar with a lid in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
I don't recommend freezing it, the butter could separate and the texture could be affected.
You can use buffalo sauce hot or cold in a variety of ways.
I made a jar of it to keep next to my jar of blue cheese dressing for a buffalo chicken salad I enjoyed for lunches all week long.
You could also warm the wing sauce up and drizzle it over these hot buffalo blue cheese chips or make a buffalo chicken pizza or homemade pizza buns with this sauce instead of the pizza sauce!
It makes a fantastic dip for chicken wings or even healthy chicken tenderloins for an easy dinner.
Easy Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup hot sauce Frank's RedHot or our preferred Texas Pete
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- Add the hot sauce and garlic salt and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 3 - 5 minutes to let the flavors mingle.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 2 weeks.
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!
Share Your Thoughts