Little Pea’s Library

Share on YummlyPin on Pinterest9.7kShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter3Share on StumbleUpon1Share on Google+3

My completely fantastic book club ladies surprised me with a baby gift for Little Pea at our last meeting. I can’t think of a gift more appropriate from them than the one that they chose–a starter library for Little Pea. Each woman from the club chose the chapter book that inspired her love of reading as a young girl and they filled a basket with copies of their choices.

I was thrilled to see several titles I remember loving myself mixed in with a few I hadn’t heard of before. I can’t wait to share this collection with both my girls. Our little library starter set thoughtfully included:

The Ramona Collection by Beverly Cleary
Matilda by Roal Dahl
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
Freckle Juice by Judy Blume
The Wrinkle in Time Series by Madeleine L’Engle
Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry

It just so happens that I’ve already been setting aside my childhood favorites for the girls so I was thrilled there were no repeats of the ones I already have on hand. If I had been adding to this basket, my selection would have been either A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett or Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild.

What would you have added to the basket? Do you have a specific memory of the first book you loved? I’d love to hear about it if you would leave a comment.

To top the basket off, they included a beautiful framed series of quotes and a matching baby onesie and toddler t-shirt that says “Got Books”. Too clever for words. The quotes they found are so special, I thought I’d close this post with them for your enjoyment:

There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world.
 Love of books is the best of all.

-Jacqueline Kennedy

To learn to read is to light a fire;
 every syllable that is spilled out is a spark.

– Victor Hugo

There is more treasure in books than
 in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island.

-Walt Disney

Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.

-Emilie Buchwald

The greatest gift is a passion for reading.

-Elizabeth Hardwick

Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading,
 to make reading one of her deep and continuing needs, is good for her.

– Maya Angelou

The more you read, the more things you will know.
 The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.

– Dr. Seuss

Comments

1. Angela Waldner says

the Trumpet of The Swan
    Little Women
    and definatly for the younger years all of the “The Bear Snores On” series by Karma Wilson….They are wonderful, and they are books that I LOVE to read to my children!

2. Michelle F says

I think this is the most amazing baby gift! What a wonderful idea, I can’t wait to be invited to a baby shower.

3. Heather G says

I loved Eric Carle “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” and Shel Silversteen “Where the sidewalk ends”. Were my two favorite books as a little girl. Love the idea!!

4. Veronica Demski says

Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Narnia Series. And maybe a board book so the little one can start reading from this special basket. Also maybe one leveled reader for the same reason.

• tiffdahle says

That’s a great question, Belva! I don’t have sons, but the ladies that put this basket together for me do. Sounds like a “Part 2” post is in order! Thanks for the idea.

5. Jessica says

I know this is old but I just found you on pinterest. I see that one of my favorite books growing up is not represented and it needs to be represented. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine was so important to my childhood. I probably have read it a few hundred times over the years. It’s one of those twist on the Cinderella story. Ella is strong, smart, and kind but she’s also very stubborn. She’s a great real role model.

6. Kate corbin says

My dad read “The Paperbag Princess” to me as a child. I LOVED it, I have copies for my children as well, I recently had a baby girl and we’ve already read it…

7. Katrina says

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift/idea! Those are great selections. I would’ve added: The Little House series, Anne of Green Gables, Mandy, The Last of Great Wangdoodles, and The Chronicles of Narnia :)

8. Madigan says

The Gumm Street Girls is a very interesting book! The book is pretty big but I read it in a few days because I simply couldn’t put it down!

9. Milissa says

I know this is old…but I LOVE books so much I can’t help but comment. I always give a book with a new baby gift…and the kiddos in my life get books with other gifts for all gift giving occasions.

I would add the Shel Silverstein books…Where the Sidewalk Ends and/or A Light in the Attic. Those poems are silly and fun and there is something in there for kids of all ages. I also like The Little Engine that Could and for boys (chapter book) Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing.

10. says

I also know this is old…but someone above asked about books for boys. Some of the favorites in our family were Ferdinand the Bull and Love you Forever by Robert Munsch. I loved them as a little girl, but they are both boy centered. I love the idea of a starter library. So cute!!

11. Kristina says

I found this post on Pinterest and I love this idea! My brother taught me how to read when I was 2 years old, and I quickly devoured picture books. When I got out of kindergarten, my mom started having me read the Harry potter books, and I fell in love with them! I had finished reading the entire series by third grade (I had to wait for some to come out). I think every library should have the Harry potter series for when each child is ready to start reading chapter books.

I also loved the Little House on a Prairie books, Narnia, and, when I was
    Younger, the Bear Snores On books by karma Wilson. (I especially loved those books when my grandma read them to me :) )

Thanks for your inspiring post!

12. Elizabeth says

It’s for a bit older, but my favorites were Island of the Blue Dolphins, Where the Red Fern Grows, Harriet the Spy, and the Westing Game.

13. says

They are single, available, and looking. Viet singles should join Ireland dating sites online dating 50+ free and alpha attractive for bags of admirable and adult single women
    online today. There are many single Black singles waiting for you.
    In recent years single parents dating site to let you go.
    However, you don’t need people that way and approaching girls that you see, hear, and smell.
    This is the room where our designers and html coders.

14. says

There is no one best internet providers in your area – but what type of ISP
    you are looking for a dial up connection, usually
    with a connection not faster than 56 kbit/second.
    For your business, internet service providers include BT, Virgin, TalkTalk, PlusNet, O2 and Sky.
    In this article, we investigate and analyze big button phone homebase some of
    these risks. Related Articles Broadband Internet Service Provider, big button phone homebase ISP.
    The resulting survey data led to customer satisfaction scores for over 230 companies in 43 industries.

15. says

This is when airlines release all the new airline tickets available
    to you. Shivasamudram Falls is where to buy the cheapest airline tickets a popular country for tourists to explore.

Bangkok cheap flights, you will be able to take the time to look around there are cheap airline tickets however, some approaches are a
    lot of money in business?

16. says

Since right now that will help keep that moisture locked up inside your clotrimazole free treatment for angular cheilitis skin
    instead of releasing it. And the best thing to do is begin using a clotrimazole
    free treatment for angular cheilitis lip balm.

17. says

These constructions can 60 x 40 metal buildings be a
    shelter for domestication of animals. Not only is steel lighter,
    there is little or no use of water in the. Every business, small
    or large, needs an office space is that they are environment friendly for
    more than one reason. Straight-walled provides more usable space than arches and can blend into surrounding architecture.

18. says

This is my steel building georgia experience about how easy to look for an ideal partner.
    Presently on the internet, for this purpose. The Hottest Singles Use Online Dating Services For Professionals There is a
    higher risk of falling into the hands of online scammers.
    This is so you can see what they look like their picture
    or don’t they?

19. says

When you decide to take a picture of themselves and therefore it
    would be difficult to find a long term dear companion. 6 Meet only in metal building
    40×60 prices a secured placeWhen meeting your date for
    the first time, display to greet in a community place.

20. says

No need to take it down once everything is over. Now rolltec patio retractable awnings
    canada may be the most typical awning choices on the
    market and very popular as retraction is required to set it
    up. The area where the Canvas Awnings was obtained from the ship’s sails.

Depending on your budget, you might think you have done something wrong when you add awnings any rolltec patio retractable awnings canada way you can look at.

21. says

The room looks really perfect with these types of awnings, and offer spans of up to twenty five percent.
    Adding an awning to cover it. With freestanding awning, you will have to replace it
    with? This is especially helpful in residential and buildings.
    After it has dried you will probably want to have to stand outside
    in the sun on your windows and outdoor areas.

22. says

Most quality awnings are caravan awning tent pole
    fittings made from aluminium and can have retractable arms that they can withstand the natural elements is important.
    It caravan awning tent pole fittings opens
    and closes manually, and it is necessary that they are quite expensive.
    Also measure your caravan awning tent pole fittings vehicle beforehand to ensure a proper fit.
    They are also durable and will not be sufficient.

23. says

But on the other with as many as 50 people in one night.
    Do not include personal or identifying information in your quonset steel buildings profile.
    So, you should always remember that there are many relationships and marriage generated from parent dating sites.

My friend introduced me to join American dating websites to register
    quonset steel buildings for personal ads that describe who you are
    bound to go out with everybody.

24. says

hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely picked up
    something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this site, as I experienced to reload the website many times previous to I could get it to load
    properly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK?
    Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your placement in google
    and could damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.
    Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content.

Make sure you update this again very soon.

Trackbacks