Sweet and spicy roasted sweet potatoes make a perfect side dish for pork or chicken. Deliciously crispy on the outside and seasoned with red pepper flakes and thyme.
Does your family eat sweet potatoes outside of the Thanksgiving dinner?
Bright orange sweet potatoes, or yams, are not a vegetable I grew up eating but I have learned to absolutely love them as an adult.
If you're looking for a healthier way to enjoy them, minus the marshmallows and butter, this easy roasted sweet potato recipe is sure to be a winner.
Chopped into large cubes and tossed in olive oil, these sweet potatoes are roasted with garlic, roasted red pepper flakes, and thyme giving them a fantastic sweet and spicy flavor.
You'll love the final texture of the roasted potatoes alongside chicken or pork.
I've made this recipe so many times, I've practically got it memorized! You will, too! Especially with this easy, short list of things to use:
- Fresh sweet potatoes: Peeled and then cut into large cubes. Do not try to use canned yams or sweet potatoes for this recipe, they are too wet to roast.
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Dried thyme
- Salt & pepper
How to Roast the Sweet Potatoes
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
On a large baking sheet, toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil until coated.
Add the garlic and seasonings and toss to coat again.
Smooth the potatoes out into an even layer on the baking sheet. There should be plenty of room for air to circulate around the potatoes.
If the pan is too crowded, they'll steam rather than roast.
Make Ahead Tips
Unfortunately, you cannot prepare this dish very far in advance or the sweet potatoes will start to turn color.
Room temperature sweet potatoes roast better than chilled ones, so pre-chopping them and storing in the fridge can cause troubles.
They are worth the effort of making them fresh for dinner.
The roasted sweet potatoes get just the right amount of crispy on the outside and the spicy seasonings pair perfectly with the sweetness of the potato.
Our favorite meat dish to pair it with is spicy pork but it appears in the rotation alongside chicken and fish, too.
I also particularly love it as a side dish for many egg recipes for brunch or dinner.
More Potato Recipes
Don't miss these other fan-favorite potato recipes:
Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks as evenly as possible
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- sprinkle of fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. All the ingredients to a large zip-top bag, shake until the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Roast until tender and starting to brown, approximately a total of 45 minutes. Be sure to toss with a spatula halfway through the cooking time so they don't burn--the sweetness of the potatoes can cause that to happen quickly.
- NOTE: If you adjust the recipe quantities, just be sure to not overcrowd your baking sheet or the potatoes will steam and not crisp up.
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!
Yum! I LOVE sweet potatoes and this looks easy and delicious! Thanks for sharing!