Perfect honey mustard dip for serving with your favorite appetizers like chicken nuggets, sausage balls, or hot pretzel bites. My recipe is not too sweet and just the perfect consistency for dunking!
My oldest is a bit of a mustard connoisseur, it is by far her very favorite condiment.
If you peeked in my fridge, you'd see numerous bottles of different kinds of mustards from Dijon, to yellow, to spicy brown, to whole grain, and more. We're always trying new flavors.
But try as we might, we just have not found a prepared honey mustard that is worth our time. They are often too thick, or too sweet, or don't have enough mustard flavor with the honey overpowering the whole bottle.
I finally decided to mix up our own combination with just the right balance of mustard to honey.
She took one bite and with eyes wide said: "Be sure to save this recipe! Exactly how it is! It's perfect."
Why This is the Best Recipe
Some honey mustard sauces are far too sweet or far too thin in consistency. My daughter and I perfected this version and think this is the best honey mustard dip recipe because:
- Perfect Texture: It is just thick enough to cling to your dunker but not goopy.
- Perfect Mustard Ratio: By combining both Dijon mustard and Yellow mustard, you get a perfect mustard balance.
- Not Too Sweet: We like things more tangy and a stronger mustard flavor with just a hint of honey sweetness.
- Smidge of Heat: Just a pinch of cayenne pepper gives the dip some warmth without being spicy.
You only need a few easy pantry ingredients to make this simple mustard dip:
- Honey: Regular honey is the obvious choice but if I were making this just for myself I'd totally use Mike's Hot Honey for some kick.
- Dijon Mustard
- Yellow Mustard
- Vinegar: You could use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. If you're out of vinegar, you could substitute fresh lemon juice.
- Cayenne Pepper: This adds so much flavor but does not make the dip spicy.
- Kosher Salt: Just a pinch but it is optional.
Whisk the Dip Together
Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk them together.
That's it! Easy peasy.
Make Ahead Tips
You can whisk together the honey mustard and store it in a mason jar or other container with an airtight lid in the fridge for up to one week.
How to Use Honey Mustard Dip
Honey mustard dip pairs really well with savory chicken and other easy appetizers.
You could whisk together a batch to serve with broiled chicken tenderloins or a pan of baked chicken nuggets for a quick dinner the kids will love.
Honey mustard dip goes perfectly with a batch of savory Bisquick sausage balls for a holiday appetizer, too.
Honey Mustard Dip
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp vinegar (white or apple cider) or fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Add all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk them together.
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!