Want a light and healthy crockpot recipe for a busy weeknight? Look no further than this deliciously easy spicy chicken taco chili. Our family loves to use it for topping a baked potato but picky eaters may prefer a homemade taco bowl!
With the school year starting back up, our family needs new easy dinner recipes I can turn to for busy weeknights.
While I love all the popular quick dinners for busy nights on my super-popular post, even my family craves something a little different once in a while.
With the girls in two different schools and with two very different schedules this fall, it is fantastic to have an easy crockpot recipe that I can toss into the pot before I run around for all the pick-ups.
Why This Recipe Works:
Just because we're busy doesn't mean I don't want something healthy I can feel good about feeling the family.
This crockpot chicken chili was a huge hit because:
- It only takes 3 hours to make so I don't have to worry about it in the morning when I'm getting the kids off to school. I pop it in the crockpot right after lunch.
- It uses ground chicken so it is lower in fat and better for our dinner.
- It's loaded with seasonings so the meat isn't dry.
- It's thick enough to use as for stuffed baked potatoes but also works great for a homemade rice bowl.
The ingredient list for this chicken chili is nice and short.
- Ground chicken
- Your favorite jarred tomato sauce
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- An onion
- Your favorite taco seasoning
You can really mix and match the seasoning and sauces to make this dish as spicy or mild as your family prefers!
First, build the chili sauce base:
Add HALF of a jar of your favorite tomato sauce to the crockpot.
Add the diced tomatoes, not drained. Sprinkle your favorite taco seasoning over the top and stir.
In a large skillet, add the canola oil and bring the pan up to medium heat.
Add the ground chicken and brown it while breaking it up with the back of a spoon.
Add the browned chicken and chopped onion to the sauce in the pot and stir.
Put the lid on the crockpot and cook on LOW for 2.5 - 3 hours.
You can tailor this crockpot chicken chili recipe to fit your family's preferences just by adjusting the heat flavor of the easy ingredients:
- Mild - use a mild taco seasoning, plain diced tomatoes, and plain marinara for the jarred sauce
- Extra-spicy - use Rotel with chilis instead of the fire-roasted and an arrabiatta tomato sauce
- Super Veggie - add diced bell peppers to the saute pan and char them briefly before mixing with the ingredients in the crockpot
I love that I can serve this thick chicken chili inside a stuffed baked potato or my picky eaters who don't like potatoes can make a homemade burrito bowl with leftover brown rice from another meal earlier in the week.
Toppings you may want to offer:
- Corn: fresh cut from the cob or an easy bag of frozen
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Green onions or fresh chives
Do not try to use a too-big slowcooker or your meal may burn at the bottom of the appliance. I tested this recipe in a 4.5-qt sized Crockpot and it worked perfectly with room to spare.
This recipe would freeze really well. You could store the chili in smaller, individual portions for thawing just a meal here or there.
While we love ground chicken in this recipe, you can also substitute ground beef or ground pork. Just be sure to completely brown the meat before adding it to the slowcooker.
More Easy Crockpot Ideas:
Need more inspiration for an easy weeknight dinner?
If you’ve tried this crockpot chicken taco chili or any other recipe on PeanutBlossom.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I love hearing from you!
FOLLOW along on Instagram @peanut.blossom as well as on Pinterest and Facebook.
Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili
- ½ (24 oz) jar tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 onion diced
OPTIONAL FOR SERVING:
- Baked potatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Green onions or fresh chives chopped
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and taco seasoning to the crockpot. Stir to combine.
- Add the canola oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground chicken in the oil, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. When the chicken is no longer pink, add the chicken and chopped onion to the crockpot. Stir to combine with the tomato sauce.
- Put the lid on the crockpot and cook on LOW for 2.5 - 3 hours.
- Serve over a baked potato or bowl of rice with optional toppings.
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!
Share Your Thoughts