Easy 15-minute chicken gyros wraps are filled with tender pieces of chicken, lots of fresh veggies, and a cool and creamy cucumber sauce. Wrapped in a warm pita, you can serve them warm or cold.
When spring arrives, one of my favorite weeknight dinners is creamy chicken gyros wraps with homemade tzatziki sauce.
As soon as the good tomatoes hit our grocery store, this hits our dinner table.
I love to serve this meal build-your-own sandwich style for my family.
I set out a plate of hot pita wraps and the kids are welcome to choose from:
- sliced hot chicken tenders
- a pile of sliced tomato chunks
- chilled red onions
- fresh tzatziki sauce for dunking
- salad greens
This gives them a bit of control over what goes in their pita or they can eat it alone on the side. This dinner is always a hit.
The marinade for the Greek chicken for gyros is really very basic. I often have most of this in my pantry or fridge at any given moment.
- Greek yogurt, plain
- Red wine vinegar
- Minced garlic
- Olive oil
- Greek seasoning blend
- Chicken tenderloins
For serving the chicken gyros, you just need to add:
- Pita bread
- Fresh tomatoes
- Red onion
- Tzatziki sauce: Homemade sauce for gyros or prepared from the store
- Salad greens
Prep Ahead Tips
This meal is super easy to do on a weeknight because most of the work has been done ahead of time.
You can mix up the batch of tzatziki the night before since it is even better once the flavors have had a chance to mingle overnight.
Then, whip up the marinade for the chicken and let them hang out till dinner time.
Finishing the meal only requires a few steps:
- Broil the marinaded chicken for 12-13 minutes
- Heat the pitas
- Chop the tomatoes and red onion
Dinner is completely done in 15 minutes or less.
If you still need to make the tzatziki sauce, it only adds a few more minutes to your time. The most time-consuming part is shredding a cucumber, the rest is simple stirring!
How to Cook the Chicken
I've been a huge fan of broiling chicken tenders for years. Until I met my air fryer!
If my husband had his way, it would be the grill all the way.
Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those methods! The recipe card below calls for the broiler, but feel free to grill or air fry your chicken tenderloins.
Heat the Pitas
The top tip for making this recipe simply amazing is to be sure to heat your pitas before using them for the wraps.
I love to spray one side of the pita bread with a bit of cooking oil and then place them oil side up underneath my oven broiler for 2 minutes or so.
This gives them a bit of a crispy outside and amazing texture to every bite of chicken gyros.
Easy Chicken Gyros Salad Variation
The last time I made this, I experimented with a healthier presentation for Handyman Tim and myself by turning this into a salad instead.
I piled up the lettuce and then used the chicken gyro fillings as toppings and the tzatziki as a salad dressing.
I knew I was going to miss the big pita wrap, my favorite part! So instead of croutons, I included a small portion of crunchy salted pita chips. It was just enough crunch to keep me satisfied.
Or you could always have the pita wrap for dinner and a nice big salad for lunch the next day with the leftovers. Either way, this is definitely one of my favorites!
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Looking for more fun twists on using chicken in a sandwich? These pulled BBQ chicken sliders are always a hit. Kids love these chicken cheesy roll-ups, and you could always tuck chopped chicken tenderloins in a wrap with your favorite salad greens topped with spicy sauce.
Chicken Gyro Pita Wrap
Marinade for the Chicken:
- 4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Greek yogurt I prefer Fage Total 2%
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning blend OR oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenderloins
- Warmed pitas 10 seconds in the microwave or heated under the broiler for a few moments.
- Sliced fresh tomatoes
- Sliced red onions
- Homemade tzatziki sauce
- Salad greens
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients. Toss the chicken tenderloins to coat thoroughly and let chill in the fridge till dinner time. At least 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat your oven's broiler. Spray a broiler pan with cooking spray. Line the chicken in a single layer on the pan. Broil on the rack one notch down from the top of the oven. 7 minutes on one side, flip the chicken with a pair of tongs and broil 5 minutes on the other side.
- Slice the chicken into strips and serve with the warmed pitas and toppings.
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!
Share Your Thoughts