Hot cocoa cheesecake dip is a 4 ingredient no bake dessert you can prep in under 5 minutes for a last-minute holiday treat. Serve with an assortment of crispy cookies and garnish with fluffy marshmallows and chocolate chips.
One of the things my kids look forward to most about this time of year is the hot cocoa bar I serve at Christmas time.
This easy hot cocoa cheesecake dip was such a fun surprise for them over the weekend: a cold version of their favorite treat topped with marshmallows and chocolate chips.
This recipe is incredibly easy to make and was a huge hit with not only my kids, but my husband, too!
Why This is the Best Recipe
As the holiday season approaches, smart hosts are collecting easy recipes for last-minute entertaining. I think this is the best hot cocoa cheesecake dip recipe because:
- 5 Minute Prep: You can stir this together in just one step in under 5 minutes. SO EASY.
- Delicious Texture: The light and fluffy dip paired with the chewy marshmallow and chocolate chip garnish is amazing on a crispy cookie.
- Fun for Kids: "Hot cocoa" in a "cold dessert dip"? Such a fun play on words but there is actually real hot cocoa in the recipe!
- Make Ahead Friendly: You can prep the dip up to 4 days in advance of your party and just keep it in the fridge . . . if it lasts that long!
This easy no bake dessert dip only needs 4 main ingredients and some garnishes:
- Whipped Topping: Frozen whipped topping like Cool Whip works great. Use a full fat whipped topping, not a fat-free one or the dip will be watery.
- Marshmallow Creme: Also known as marshmallow fluff.
- Hot Cocoa Mix: I used Swiss Miss cocoa packets but if you have hot cocoa powder in bulk, you can use the handy measurements in the recipe card below.
- Vanilla Extract
- Garnishes: Mini Chocolate Chips & Mini Marshmallows
- Cookies for Dunking: You could use chocolate wafer cookies like I did or substitute Oreos, chocolate chip cookies, Nila wafers, graham crackers, or even butter cookies.
Stir the Dip Together
Be sure your whipped topping is fully thawed before you begin.
Simply add the whipped topping, marshmallow fluff, hot cocoa mix, and vanilla extract to a large bowl and stir it together.
It's truly that easy.
Just use a gentle hand so you don't break up the whipped topping too much. You want to keep it nice and fluffy.
Scrape the hot cocoa dip into a pretty serving bowl and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
This allows the dry cocoa powder to dissolve into the creamy dip.
How to Garnish the Dip
Top your hot cocoa dip with your favorite hot cocoa mix-ins!
I used mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips for even more chocolate flavor and a bit of crunch.
My family loved the texture of the chewy marshmallows with the crunchy chocolate chips.
We sprinkled a very generous amount of the top and after we ate some of the dip, sprinkled even more over the next layer down.
You could use crushed candy canes, mini M&Ms, or even Christmas sprinkles if you wanted to make it festive.
The hot cocoa cheesecake dip tastes best once it is chilled. We loved eating it cold with crispy wafer cookies.
This would make an incredible no bake Christmas dessert, New Year's Eve treat, or even a Valentine's treat for the kids.
Any winter party you're hosting this season would be a perfect match for this yummy dip.
Hot Cocoa Cheesecake Dip
For the Hot Cocoa Cheesecake Dip
- 1 (8 oz) container of whipped topping like Cool Whip
- 1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow fluff
- ½ cup hot cocoa mix or 2 (1.38 oz.) packets of hot cocoa mix like Swiss Miss
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mini marshmallows for garnish
- Mini chocolate chips for garnish
- Cookies for dunking like Oreos, chocolate wafers, Nila wafers, butter wafers, graham crackers, etc.
- Add the thawed whipped topping, marshmallow fluff, hot cocoa mix and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl. Gently fold it together with a spatula. Do not over stir the dip or the whipped topping will lose its fluffiness.
- Scrape the hot cocoa dip into a pretty serving bowl. Sprinkle the mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips in a fun swirl over the top.
- Chill the dip for 30 minutes before serving to allow the cocoa powder to blend with the creamy dip.
Make Ahead TipsThe prepared dip will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Save This Recipe to Your Recipe Box
Find this delicious recipe next time you visit by saving it to your very own recipe box on my site. All your favorites stored in one easy place!