The holiday season is just downright crazy: over packed schedules, mile long to-do lists, and a million and one details all conspiring to turn you into a frantic wreck. This is the time of year we’re supposed to feel warm and joyful, but it is all too easy to get lost in the bustle instead.
As a mom of young kids, I’ve also noticed that the focus of the season leans heavily on the magic for the children. I’m first in line when it comes to signing up for things like Elf on the Shelf and other kid-friendly traditions but sometimes it feels nice to remember that Tim and I matter too!! I don’t want to get so caught up in the fun for the kids that we lose ourselves in the process.
Focusing on your significant other doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. I thought it would be fun to brainstorm 20 simple joys for couples at Christmastime. Some may require a tiny bit of planning, some are a little sassy, but hopefully all of them will put a smile on your face and make the two of you laugh together:
20 ways to Light the Sparks and date your spouse during this holiday season:
- Candlelit living rooms
- Watch a holiday movie classic with a big bowl of popcorn
- Fancy chocolates you wouldn’t “waste” on the kids
- A delicious new wine with a simple toast
- His + Hers warm and cozy slippers
- Holiday jammies, lounge worthy for Christmas morning
- Holiday jammies that won’t see the light of day! 😉
- Play gentle Christmas music and chat instead of watching tv
- Take a drive to look at holiday lights
- Mix a new cocktail together, eggnog or brandy alexander anyone?
- Have just an appetizer or drinks & dessert at a fancy restaurant you know is decorated to the nines
- Get coffees together and sip them while browsing a local bookshop
- Go for an evening run or walk together on a path that is lit with Christmas lights
- Fill each other’s stockings with silly surprises from Santa
- Exchange small but thoughtful gifts on Christmas morning. Especially if you’re calling the remodeled bathroom or new water heater your “gift.”
- Enjoy coffee in bed together on Saturday morning with magazines or a book
- Gift each other red underwear for wearing during the holiday parties on your list, just your little secret
- Catch snowflakes on your tongues during the first snow fall
- Have a snowball fight
- Plan an adult dinner party with friends or just for the two of you, the kids can eat chicken nuggets in the kitchen for one evening