Grab a few simple supplies for these homemade ornaments for kids and your tree will be decorated in no time!
Are your kids looking forward to Christmas as much as ours? I love to fill our weekends with festive activities leading up to the holiday to make the waiting time a bit more bearable. Holiday crafting is one of our favorite things and the girls love making Christmas ornaments together!
We had so much fun making these homemade ornaments for our tree a few years ago and the girls love pulling them out each year. I've been amazed how well they have held up!
Some of our suggestions required fancier materials that you might have sitting around the house right now. I thought it would be fun to follow up with craft ideas you might enjoy for easy Christmas crafts you can try with your kids during Advent that use things already sitting in your house. It's so much easier to host an impromptu craft session with the kids when you don't have to make a special trip to the store!
Keeping homemade ornaments for kids fun and easy:
The supplies you need for homemade ornaments are easier than you might think. Your kids can really have a ton of fun making ornaments with just basic crafting supplies like:
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Markers or pens
Some of the sweetest homemade ornaments ideas that use those simple supplies I found include:
- Christmas wreath on Christmas tree?! Why not! Especially when it’s so cute and tiny like this easy to make yarn wreath ornament! This homemade ornament is a good opportunity for kids to work on their fine motor skills as well.
- My kids are fascinated with all things shiny and sparkly! Yours too? How about inviting them to join you and make lovely beaded pipe cleaner snowflakes to hang on Christmas tree or string them to create lovely garlands to decorate your walls?
- Do you love to hunt for sea glass during walks on the beach? Use them to make gorgeous sea glass ornaments!
- Ideas we can use in more than one way are amazing! Like DIY paper Disney dolls! You can use them for pretend play after reading a favorite book or watching movies about Disney princess! Or, you can string them and hang them on your Disney themed Christmas tree!
- Kids love to work with clay. Maybe because it is similar to baking cookies?! Well, these cookie cutter clay ornaments are absolutely similar to baking! Only without actual baking in an oven if you use air-dry clay!
- For the kidsi that love to pick up treasures during walks, this one is perfect. Walnut babies are so adorable, you can't help but wish to make more of them!
- Do you have a Mickey Mouse fan? We have a perfect idea! It’s really easy to make Mickey Mouse ornaments from paper. All you need are basic supplies like paper, scissors and glue!
- Homemade ornaments that double as keepsakes are a great way to preserve memories as kids grow up. There are many keepsake ideas available but we love salt dough fingerprint Nutcracker ornament because it’s such a unique idea!
- For children who love coloring, we found printable ornaments to print, color, cut and assemble. It’s always fun looking forward to seeing all the different color combinations when kids color triskele globe ornament with the same drawing pattern!
- I especially love projects that look fancy and complicated but are surprisingly easy to produce. Embossed Christmas ornaments are a perfect example! This tutorial provides guidance to make 2 different types of embossed Christmas ornaments, one aiming for younger kids and another for teens.
- I love to stock up on plain, clear ornament globes at the craft store when they go on sale. There are plenty of ideas on how you can fill those clear glass ornaments for this Christmas! But our favorite is this rainbow glitter project.
- Last but not least, these DIY Dried Orange Slices look simply magical!
If you like the ideas for homemade ornaments we listed here, you will LOVE my friend Maggy’s new Easy Paper Projects Book. She designed all the projects inside the book to use the most basic crafting materials – paper, card and stationery!
Her book provides crafting ideas for every day as well as for all the major holidays helping you spend more time with your children crafting and creating new memories! It would be the perfect Christmas present for kids who want to get a little crafty over winter break.
Get your copy today:
Christmas ornaments for kids:
If you're looking for more easy Christmas crafty fun for kids, don't miss these other great ideas: