This easy slowcooker Italian Beef is the perfect recipe for feeding a hungry crowd. Toast the dinner rolls under the broiler and serve the zesty beef with melted cheese and vinegary peppers on top.
Whether you need to feed a crowd of hungry dinner guests or you simply want an easy Crockpot dinner that you can make ahead and freeze the leftovers, this Italian beef recipe is one of my very favorites.
I love it so much, I included a kid-friendly cooking instructions version of it in The Ultimate Kids' Cookbook.
I originally made this to feed my dad and husband after a long day of home repairs and it was such a hit that it became a permanent part of our menu rotation.
My kids love that I toast the rolls under the broiler and melt the provolone before piling high the savory beef with delicious beef broth drippings.
Dump everything into the Crockpot and step away. Dinner will be done hours later, leaving you plenty of time to relax!
The list of ingredients is very simple, but there are a few substitutions you should know about:
- Beef: Our grocery doesn't always carry the cut of beef I want, so you have a few options you can choose based on availability at your store -- pot roast, rump roast, top round, bottom round, sirloin roast, or chuck roast would all work perfectly in this beef recipe.
- Beef Broth: I've made this recipe with beef broth and sometimes with just water when I don't have broth in my pantry. Either way will work just fine.
- Italian Dressing Mix: This calls for the powdered packet of Italian dressing seasoning but if you can't find it, you could add 1 cup of zesty Italian dressing but then reduce the beef broth or water by 1 cup as well.
- Seasonings: I used garlic salt, dried basil, parsley, oregano and bay leaves. If you're missing any of these, you could also substitute 1 tablespoon of Italian herb mix.
How to Make It
This recipe is so easy to make, you will love it.
First, pour the beef broth or water into the bowl of the slowcooker.
Add the Italian dressing mix, dried herbs, salt and pepper, and stir.
Add the beef roast to the pot and carefully turn it over so all sides are covered in the seasoned liquid.
Cover the Crockpot and cook on LOW for 10 - 12 hours or on HIGH for 4 - 5 hours.
The beef should be fall-apart tender when you prick it with a fork. You can shred it with two forks or if it is tender enough, you may even be able to just gently stir it into the liquid.
I slice fresh baguettes or crusty rolls into sandwich buns and lay them open face on a large baking pan. Place them under the hot broiler for 1 - 2 minutes or until they are gently toasted.
Lay slices of provolone or American cheese on the buns and place the pan back under the broiler briefly to melt the cheese.
Pile on the shredded beef and top with jarred pickled peppers or sandwich relish.
What to Serve on the Side
These tender Italian beef sandwiches go perfectly with any of these simple side dishes:
- Chips and dip
- Baked frozen french fries
- Raw veggie platter with dip
- Tater tots
- Fresh grapes
- Italian chopped salad or Caesar salad
More Sandwich Recipes
Looking for more hearty sandwiches to feed your family? We love these delicious dinner sandwich ideas:
If you’ve tried this easy slowcooker Italian beef or any other recipe on PeanutBlossom.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I love hearing from you!
FOLLOW along on Instagram @peanut.blossom as well as on Pinterest and Facebook.