Yesterday I mentioned how Shakira's "Try Everything" single from Disney's Zootopia has inspired me to make this last year of my 30's the best it can be. Go ahead and listen to the song and see my favorite quote here.
We've been doing birthday bucket lists for the kids for a few years now. They are displayed proudly on a chalkboard in our kitchen. (Take a peek at an example here.) But the chalkboard is too small to fit a list that works for Tim or myself. This year I decided to tweak our tradition and made out my own list in a colorful printable that is currently hanging right on our refrigerator.
40 Before 40: The birthday bucket list for mom:
I thought about my main goals for life in general:
- Stay healthy and strong so I have enough energy for adventures with my kids.
- Enjoy precious family moments with my husband and kids.
- Indulge my creative side.
- Connect with and enjoy my friends.
- Travel and see the world beyond our city borders.
- Be a good example of a strong, caring, professional woman that my daughters can look up to.
With those in mind I made my list. I'm excited about each item there but some of my favorite highlights include:
- Complete a virtual marathon over 26 days: More on this to come this summer. I hope you might join me!
- Have family portraits taken: I want to be IN the photos this year. For the first time ever, we're hiring a pro to do it right.
- Complete 40 random acts of kindness: My friend Valerie from Inner Child Fun did this and it left a lasting impression on me. I can't wait to follow in her footsteps.
- Buy 2 bottles of champagne: because if this isn't about celebrating, what's the point?? I'm enjoying one on my birthday and saving the other to toast on my 50th!
My girls are so excited that I finally have my own birthday list. They immediately scanned it to see which things they would be lucky to participate in. (Answer: 14 of the things!) I love that they are eager to help me check all the items off and make time for them within our family schedule. It helps ensure that I will actually get it done!
I am excited to share updates with you on my progress in the coming months.
Are you facing this milestone yourself? Then you need a birthday list, too!! I created a blank version of my printable for you to use for free! You can download your own copy here.
Maybe you'll be inspired by my list but maybe you'll need a little more help coming up with ideas. I suggest making it a family affair! Sit down with your kids and partner and talk about YOU over dinner one evening. Ask them for suggestions for things they want to do with you and for things you should do all on your own. Then let me know how it goes. I'd love to hear some of your creative ideas.
Leave a note in the comments, who knows who you will inspire!