We love the 100 Days of Summer photos challenge. Here is the ultimate list of creative prompts to help you capture summer photos of your family you’ll cherish forever.
I’m so excited to be kicking off my annual 100 Days of Summer photo challenge. For the last two summers, life got the better of me and I missed out on my favorite creative challenge of the year.
This year, I’m back at it and I can’t wait to see what I’ll capture of my family. Want to see what I’m capturing this year?
Follow me on Instagram here and check out #pb100daysofsummer
The best part about the 100 Days of Summer photo challenge is that even if you don’t make it all 100 days, you are absolutely certain to capture priceless photos you wouldn’t have caught if your camera wasn’t handy and on your mind.
A reader asked if I had a photo prompts list for the challenge over on Facebook. I can’t believe I haven’t thought to pull one together yet! I looked through the last 4 summers’ worth of images in my photo library and assembled a list that will be easy for most families to come close to completing.
If you don’t like one of the ideas? SKIP IT.
This project is YOURS. These prompts are just to help you if you get in a total rut. They are one part image prompt, one part super fun summer bucket list.
Some of my photos are posed, some are candid. I totally mix things up. Don’t be shy about intentionally arranging a situation just for a picture, some of my all-time favorites came from intentional photo sessions complete with planned outfits on family trips. The pictures are all for you to remember this special time with your family.
P.S. Quick, before you dive into the photo ideas . . .
Like to celebrate? Get on the list!!
I love sharing seasonal recipes and ideas for celebrating the holidays. This list of summer photos are perfect for capturing your precious family memories this season. If you’d like more ideas for the coming holidays, be sure to get on my weekly email list where I share the latest ideas for making each season special:
100 summer photos you need to capture this season:
- Coming off the bus (or arriving home) on the last day of school
- Kids snuggled up in jammies being summertime lazy
- Pooltime fun in swimsuits
- Reading a book
- Laying in the grass
- Blowing bubbles
- Running an errand
- Trip to the library
- Coloring or crafting time
- Time capsule shot of their favorite toys
- Eating a popsicle or ice cream cone
- What’s blooming in your yard?
- Buckled into the car for a trip
- The trunk of your car packed for a trip (or coming home!)
- A landmark sign in your town or on a trip
- Jumping into water
- Helping in the kitchen
- Holding a sparkler
- A message written in the sand
- Your partner relaxing
- A selfie of you with the kids
- Your partner working (in the yard, in the kitchen, doing a chore)
- Your kids doing a chore
- Your kids in their bed
- A close up of a favorite article of clothing
- Jumping BIG jumps with arms in the air
- Riding a bike
- Bouncing a ball
- Writing a message in chalk (on driveway or chalkboard)
- Close up of hands holding a found object from nature (shell, pinecone, leaf, flowers)
- Eating a treat that is special to your area
- Your view when you exercise
- Pile of sandals by the door
- Kids cuddled up for movie night
- Close up of the snack or treat for movie night
- Kids by movie poster at the movie theater
- Hands holding the most favorite books read this summer
- Pillow fort building
- What does nap time look like? (Works for teens, too! Ha!)
- Playing with friends
- Running through a sprinkler
- Flying a kite
- Holding a basket of veggies from the farmer’s market
- Playing a video or computer game
- A connection — a hug, a wrestle, or a tug-o-war–between siblings
- A goofy pose (Superman, strong-armed hero, crazy monster pose.)
- Playing in the backyard
- Doing a summersault or cartwheel
- A snapshot of a typical summertime dinner
- Posing outside of church or Sunday school
- Summer camp drop-off
- Summer camp pick-up
- The backpack or swim bag that is packed for the day out
- A snapshot of summer lunch
- Holding a sparkler
- A flying flag
- Getting ready to watch fireworks
- A picnic
- Watching a parade
- Jumping rope
- Baking something
- Time with grandparents or extended family
- Snapshot of handwriting — a postcard or journal entry
- Your favorite furry friend
- Swimsuits lined up to dry
- Favorite pool toys
- Catching up with doc/dentist appointments
- Posing with summer accessories: sunglasses, sunhat, etc.
- A chilly beverage
- A selfie of how you relax when summer is getting long
- Your favorite family tv show
- School supply shopping
- Before/after hair cuts
- Modeling back to school clothes
- Capture a local fountain
- Visit your nearest “downtown” area
- A local landmark
- A local park
- A lemonade stand
- A sand castle
- Find a statue and everyone poses just like it
- Something on the grill
- Something you eat on a stick
- Jumping in a puddle
- One big drink, multiple long straws, kids sharing
- Family game night
- Your favorite coffee stop
- Piles of laundry with summer clothes
- How many cups are on your counter by the sink?
- Kids eating breakfast
- Playing on their favorite screen (or your phone)
- What do you do when they are in bed?
- What’s blooming in your yard now?
- The big pile of books that everyone read over the summer
- School orientation day
- Playing on sports team or other extracurricular
- Packing backpacks on the last day of summer
- The first day of school