There are so many things to do in Charlotte with kids. Are you new to the area or just visiting? Welcome! Here are our favorite spots right here in the Queen City and our favorite day trip destinations.
Welcome to Charlotte, NC and the lovely metro Carolina area! Our family has made this our home for the last several years and we’ve enjoyed getting to know our new city. We seek out all the family friendly things to do in Charlotte and have pulled them together just for you. We know you have a lot of choices for things to do in Charlotte with kids, we want to help point you towards the best ones.
Be sure to check out our YouTube channel and subscribe for our weekly videos of the area.
Follow our Pinterest board for the latest ideas for family fun in the Carolinas.
Choose your destination! We share hot spots to visit both right in the Charlotte area as well as day trip adventures throughout the South.
Tell me what I’ve missed! Where should our family go next? What’s your favorite place to visit in Charlotte or within a 6 hour drive? If you want to see our most current adventures, be sure to come over and say hi on Instagram here.
Best things to do in Charlotte, NC with kids:
From museums to roller coasters, Charlotte’s got a lot! We love taking the kids to one of these family-friendly fun spots in Charlotte:
- Discovery Place: we are lucky enough to have an amazing children’s museum here in town. Take a peek inside!
- Carowinds: Like to have a thrilling time on roller coasters? You won’t want to miss Carowinds, our local amusement park.
- The Mint Museum: Explore art with your kids and this family friendly art museum. Don’t miss their Sunday Funday’s with free admission for kids.
- Carolina Raptor Center: Experience hawks, owls, vultures and more all in a natural environment. These amazing winged creatures will fly right over your head during live performances.
- SEA LIFE Aquarium Charlotte-Concord: A fun day trip for kid at the amazing Concord Mall.
- Daniel Stowe Botanic Garden: This gorgeous botanic garden has a newly built garden just for kids.
- Check out this photography tour of uptown Charlotte
Seasonal fun for families in and around Charlotte:
We love how Charlotte experiences all 4 seasons, yes we even get snow in winter! Celebrate the changing of the seasons with your kids with these fun family-friendly things to do in and around Charlotte.
Go apple picking at Sky Top Orchard
Kick start summer vacation at Metro Diner
Cheer for the Panthers during football season
Easy Charlotte day trips for families:
Many of our favorite destinations are in a 3 – 6 hour driving distance. We love the central location Charlotte offers for family road trips. These have been our favorite family vacations:
Things to see in Atlanta, GA (a 3-hour drive from Charlotte):
Cool down at World of Coca Cola
Fishy friends at Georgia Aquarium
Things to see in Charleston, SC (a 3-hour drive from Charlotte):
Things to see in Asheville, NC (a 2-hour drive from Charlotte):
Things to see in Columbia, SC (a 1-hour drive from Charlotte):
Visiting the animals at Riverbanks Zoo
Things to see in Hilton Head Island, SC (a 5-hour drive from Charlotte):
Romantic getaway to Hilton Head
Things to see in Savannah, GA (a 5-hour drive from Charlotte):
Visit the East Coast Beaches:
Take amazing beach pics in Wilmington
Don’t miss these great beach picture ideas from Myrtle Beach
Visit the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kitty Hawk
Visit the NC lighthouses along the coast
Visit Tennessee (a 3-hour drive from Charlotte):
Check out the amazing indoor waterpark at Wilderness at the Smokies
Have a blast with these 30+ things to do in Pigeon Forge
Other Helpful Articles for Charlotte Residents:
- What you need to know about finding the best orthodontist in Charlotte NC
- American Girl Fashion Show in Charlotte, NC
- Charlotte’s Southern Sauce and Beerfest: fall fun in the Queen City
- Ringling Bros. comes to Charlotte
- 100 years of magic: Disney on Ice comes to Charlotte, NC