This savory sausage dip is inspired by the classic Swedish meatballs everyone loves. Serve it with a giant pile of crispy seasoned tater tot dunkers!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound bulk mild sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp beef soup base
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- 1 package of tater tots or potato puffs, baked
- In a large skillet, heat the tbsp of oil over medium high. Add sausage and break it up with a spoon. Add the onions when the sausage is half-way cooked through and continue to break it up and saute until the meat is golden brown and starting to crisp on the outside. Season the mixture with the allspice, nutmeg and pepper and heat through until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Set the pan aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute until golden and bubbly. Slowly pour in the beef broth and whisk until smooth. Add the soup base and whisk until completely dissolved.
- Add the beef broth mixture to the pan with the sausage. Stir to combine. With the heat turned to low, add the sour cream and stir until combined and heated through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve alongside the fresh tater tots.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Baking
Keywords: football, appetizers, sausage dip, sausage, swedish meatballs, tater tots,