Today I'm taking the peanuts to a pick-your-own strawberry farm. This is our third annual visit but Little Pea's first time tagging along. I'm a little nervous about how it will work out with her but the Peanut and I have enjoyed this summertime activity so much I just can't imagine skipping it.
Besides, we're out of our favorite strawberry jam. Time to make more. Thank goodness strawberry season is right now!
Strawberry picking/jam making is one of my favorite new traditions with the girls. The very fact that I almost skipped it because of worries over Little Pea got me thinking about those Summer Bucket Lists I've seen all over the web these days. I think if left up to me, some of my favorite activities could pass us by this year if I don't set a date and schedule them in. Having them on the calendar forces me to make arrangements to bring Little Pea along or find a sitter.
On my summer bucket list I've added:
- Strawberry picking (Check!)
- Fieldtrip to the Milwaukee Zoo
- Daytrip to Lake Geneva's beach
- Visit a local splash park with our neighbors
- Picnic lunch at the Chicago Botanic Gardens
- Kid's movie viewing at the drive-in movie theater
- Duck feeding at a local pond
- Irish Fest in Milwaukee in August
- and if we're really adventurous, the Wisconsin State Fair in early August
It's a relatively short list and I've missed a lot of the smaller, more meaningful activities I've seen on other lists. Yet, if we can accomplish everything I've mentioned I will definitely feel like we took the most advantage of our "summer vacation." Maybe next year I'll be more proactive earlier in the season and have a more extensive list.
What would be on your summer bucket list? Local friends, am I missing something great?
Stay tuned for a follow up on the strawberry picking though. I'm definitely sharing the freezer jam process this year!