This fall comfort food classic is a hit with kids and parents alike. The easiest weeknight dinner with some fresh apples and spicy sausages from the market.
- 6 sweet Italian sausages (If you’re wild, go with the spicy. We’re not.)
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, washed but not peeled or chopped
- 2 medium onions, large chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 green apples, chopped but not peeled
- Olive oil, salt, pepper
- Spicy mustard for serving (Optional, but not according to my 5 year old!)
Set your oven to 425. Toss the chopped onions and whole potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. You won’t need much, just a tablespoon or so. They should be mostly coated but not drenched. I do this directly in a large baking pan to save a dish. Sprinkle with thyme, salt & pepper. Lay the sausages directly on the top of the bed of potatoes and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
Toss the chopped apples with just a smidge more of olive oil, salt and pepper, and set aside.
When the buzzer beeps, turn the sausages over to brown on their other side and sprinkle the apples around them. Be sure to give the potatoes and onions a gentle toss to prevent burning on the bottoms. Bake for 10 more minutes.
Serve with spicy mustard as a dip.