Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice (also known as Spanish Rice), filled with sweet kid-friendly vegetables that give it extra texture. Still easy to make and tastes like it came straight from your favorite Mexican restaurant. This is the best side dish for any Mexican entree.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- sprinkle of cumin
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the bell pepper and onion to the pan and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the rice and cook until the grains begin to turn golden brown. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds until just fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato sauce, salt, cumin and cayenne pepper to the pan and stir to combine.
- Cover the pan and let simmer over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes or until all is cooked and there is no liquid left when you stir the rice.
- Add the corn to the pan and stir to combine with the rice, cover and let sit for 3-5 minutes. The heat from the dish will warm the corn through but retain it’s crunch.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and sprinkle chopped green onions over the top.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican