This easy chicken soup has a tropical flair with coconut, lime, and hot sauce. Thickened with cornbread and sweet corn, it’s a cozy way to channel an island vacation in the heart of winter.
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger (or 1 tsp dried in a pinch)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 cups diced chicken meat (great for leftovers or use a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 (10 oz) bag of frozen sweet corn
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 12 cups (3 qts) chicken stock
- Juice from 3 fresh limes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) coconut milk
- 8 dashes hot sauce (we prefer the Mexican-style Valentina)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread prepared according to package directions (uses 1/3 cup milk + 1 egg)
- 3 green onions, chopped (both white and green parts)
In a large soup pot, add the oil and bring to temperature over medium-high heat.
Add the garlic, ginger, onion, celery, carrots, and bell pepper and saute until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the coriander and allspice and stir into the veggies for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the chicken, corn, coconut, and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
Prepare the corn muffins according to the box directions. Bake them and then set aside while the soup finishes cooking.
Add the lime juice, coconut milk, hot sauce, cilantro, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
To serve: Crumble one corn muffin into each soup bowl. Ladle the hot soup over the top and garnish with fresh green onions.
Alternatively, serve the muffins on the side of the soup.
Keywords: chicken, soup, coconut, lime, peppers, corn, cilantro, hot sauce,