Looking for the best ice cream in Charlotte? So are we! This summer, we’re doing a local ice cream challenge and exploring all the Queen City has to offer for ice cream lovers. Follow along and read our latest reviews here and on Instagram!
I grew up in the Dairy State where our official dessert was local frozen custard — the kind that streams out freshly made daily and comes in only chocolate, vanilla, and the one or two special flavors of the day. I am a passionate ice cream lover and moving to the south, away from my beloved frozen custard, was a bit of a heartbreaker. (Which is why we ate daily at Kopp’s Frozen Custard when we visited family!)
This summer, the girls and I decided to launch a local Charlotte Ice Cream Challenge. We are on a mission to find the very best frozen treats here in the Queen City. We’ve done our research and made an epic list of the best ice cream places in Charlotte.
We plan to review one new spot a week all summer long. We’ll update this post as we go, so be sure to follow along. Do you have a favorite ice cream spot? Leave me a note in the comments and I’ll add it to our list of places to try!
The Best Ice Cream in Charlotte:
Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt in Waverly on Providence Rd.:
Week 1 of our Charlotte Ice Cream Challenge found us trying a new frozen yogurt spot in Waverly. We had a coupon for buy one, get one free so my frugal heart couldn’t resist even though it is “yogurt” and not “ice cream.” It’s our challenge, we’ll bend the rules if we like.
To be honest, frozen yogurt spots like this are generally not my favorite. The yogurt is usually a little watery and has an odd tang to it. But my kids LOVE the serve your own yogurt dispensers and the buffet of topping options so as a special treat to kickstart summer, I decided to give it a go.
I was SHOCKED to discover how amazingly delicious the frozen yogurt is at Menchie’s! We sampled the following flavors:
- Cookies & Cream
- Cake Batter
- Dulce de Leche
- Original Tart
The cheesecake/dulce de leche swirl was my very favorite — sweet, creamy, and no weird yogurt tang. I’m a sucker for soft-serve ice cream, and this absolutely hit the spot.
Little Pea went with a strawberry / original tart swirl that was amazing. The Peanut chose the cake batter / cookies & cream combo which was a little too sweet for my taste but a huge hit with her.
The Menchie’s frozen yogurt breakdown for families:
- The frozen yogurt was creamy and delicious. Definitely worth a repeat visit. All three of us loved it.
- They always offer a no sugar added option if that is important to you.
- You can sample any of the flavors you want with tiny little cups before purchasing.
- The toppings bar had awesome options: candy, cookies, nuts, fruit, and sauces.
- They give you awesome little reusable spoons that my kids adored. We kept ours and plan to use them at home.
- WHY do kids put the weirdest combos of toppings on their yogurt when given the chance?? Brownies, gummy worms, and peanut butter cookies?? Blech. But, it made my kids ecstatic.
- You pay by weight, so it is hard to budget for what your treat will cost.
- They offered a Pineapple Dole Whip float that looked exactly like my favorite Disney treat. I was SO excited and then so disappointed. It doesn’t hold a candle to the Disney version. But, I’d absolutely go back for a cup of the dulce de leche . . .
Our favorite ice cream recipes for families:
- The only sundae recipes you will ever need: 20 combos for a budget-friendly ice cream bar
- Roasted cherry chocolate chip ice cream
- The ultimate turtle sundae