When I picked up my whirligig chains from the pile on my desk, I was pleasantly surprised to see how far along I'd actually gotten last summer. With a quick review of the pattern, I dug right in and finished assembling the whirligigs in just a couple short afternoons.
I was sad to see how the blocks were coming up significantly short of the required pattern size and constantly berated myself over my poor trimming skills. Nothing I could do to fix it, I just plowed ahead. The thing that kept me going is the excitement of finally placing out the blocks to form the quilt top and seeing how they all looked together.
The fabric I used was American Jane's "Snippets" for Moda. I chose the fabric line because of the bright and cheery palette. I love the orange and yellow mixed with red and pink. Once the whirligigs were assembled and pressed, I sorted them into color categories:
Assembling a quilt top is very much like piecing a puzzle. I needed 8 rows of 10 blocks. Having the blocks sorted by color allowed me to spread them out evenly across the top. When I place the blocks I try to ensure that no pattern or color repeats itself right next to one another and I try to make sure that the blocks either share a color or are complementary. Trickier than you might think!
It probably took me 30-40 minutes just to place the blocks out like this. I tried a few different layouts before I settled on this configuration.
Tune in tomorrow to see the final top assembly.