Oh my dear friends. I have a new obsession. Have you ever taken one look at a recipe and knew that you had to make it IMMEDIATELY? As in, drop everything you’re doing because nothing could possibly be more important?
Maybe it was the summer doldrums. Maybe it was our boring rut of snack options. Or maybe it was the HONEY SRIRACHA CHEX MIX recipe staring me in the face that did it.
General Mills surprised the girls and I with a summer care package that included all the ingredients we needed to make this. I looked at their recipe card and headed straight to the kitchen. After the girls and I polished off the first batch, I asked them if I could share their recipe with you.
Yes, it’s that good. *I* begged *THEM* to share this with you.
You start with the usual suspects for a Chex Mix: Corn Chex, Rice Chex, peanuts and pretzels. (Their recipe called for adding popcorn but I felt it diluted the awesome seasoned coating so left it out of our second batch. To each their own. You may appreciate the dilution, I like things HOT.)
Then the stars of the show appear: sriracha (or rooster sauce as the Peanut and I love to call it), honey, and butter.
The whole thing took minutes to make and all the magic happens in the microwave. You simply melt the butter and then stir in the honey and sriracha thusly:
Toss it all together and heat it up in the microwave while stirring every 2 minutes:
Sweet and slightly sticky and super spicy awesome crunchy snack heaven:
I’m on my third handful as I type this up. (For inspiration! Really! . . .) Move over popcorn, this is my go-to movie party treat until further notice.
And don’t let the sriracha scare you off. The kids both loved this mix almost as much as I do. The honey and butter definitely tone things down enough to make it tolerable.
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup pretzels
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp honey
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the cereal, nuts, and pretzels. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, melt the butter in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir in the honey and sriracha.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal mix, toss gently to combine and coat evenly.
- Microwave the mix for 5-6 minutes being sure to stir thoroughly every 2 minutes. (Our microwave started to really toast things up in the 5th minute, watch so it doesn't burn!)
- Spread evenly on wax paper to cool.
- Store in an airtight container. If it lasts long enough for storing.
Peanut Blossom is proud to be developing a relationship with General Mills and we received this care package as a courtesy. No other payment was accepted for this post, it was just a recipe too fantastic to keep to ourselves!